Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Battle with Adult Acne

I started this all on war with acne in 2008. A dermatologist explained that my sudden move from a tropical climate to South Africa exposed my skin to unfamiliar bacteria and climatic conditions. Add those ingredients to oily skin and you get acne. I tried a myriad of over-the-counter products, then went on to regular spa treatments and ridiculously overpriced spa products to no avail.

Then I got serious. I saw a dermatologist who prescribed a soap and Ponds cream. Yes I paid to get a prescription for over-the-counter medicine … smh. Needless to say that despite using these religiously for 2 months, the regimen did not work. So I saw another dermatologist, who after closely inspecting my skin with what looked like Sherlock Holmes old magnifying glass for about 40 seconds prescribed a topical ointment called Retin-A gel and instructed that I wash my face with Dove soap. Thanks to that “genius” of a doctor my results were acne, severe drying around the mouth area plus Permanent Scaring to boot!
Then I got Furious! I found a plastic surgeon. He conducted a complete skin analysis then recommended 4 months of treatment. I received a mild chemical peel once a week, and two light treatments, one blue and one red, a week for four weeks.  I continued light therapy for another four weeks while taking a break from the chem. peels. The repeated the whole process again. This reduced my moderate acne to mild acne; irregular breakouts and I rarely had more than two visible pimples at a time. But these still bothered me, mainly because they left me with spots L
 so I am thrilled that I have put together a regimen that works for me.
My Current SkinCare Arsenal

Cleansers: Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel, Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant, & Estée Lauder Soft Clean Tender Crème Cleanser
Toners/ Tonics: Lancome Tonique Douceur Softening Hydrating Toner
Moisturizers: Crème De La Mer ‘Moisturizing cream’, Émulsion De La Mer ‘Moisturizing Lotion’, & The Body Shop Tea Tree Clearing Lotion
Eye-cream: Baume De La Mer ‘eye balm intense’, & Estée Lauder Advance Night Repair Eye.
Spot treatment and Acne prevention: The Body Shop Tea tree Oil
Hydrating/Vitamin Masks: Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque & Clarins HydraQuench Cream-Mask
Sun Protection: Dermalogica Skin Recovery spf 30
*Note: I do not use all of these products at the same time or even within the same week. I will do more detailed reviews of how I use these products in my skincare regimen, but if you are curious about any of these products or have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask J

6 comments:

  1. I believe that I should try to Body Shop Tea Tree thingy, adult acne is killing me, and strange enough it seems to come in at the same spots on my face every time, but now I wonder if these things are available here in Antigua

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I know the Body Shop ones are, and I've seen Lancome in Antigua not sure about the others tho!

      Delete
    2. You should be able to get the Tea Tree pproducts at The Body Shop in Heritage Quay (if they aren't in stock, just ask the ladies there, from my experience they are always willing to help).

      Unfortunately, you may not be able to find the other products I listed. You could however try ordering them online and having them shipped to ANU.

      If the company does not ship to ANU try using D&J Forwarders (Vegetable Market); they provide US mailboxes. Hope this helps |xoxo Ree|

      Delete
    3. If you get spots in the SAME place every time it is probably because the cell walls of the spots have been broken down and not had time to repair.
      - try things such as changing your pillowcase every night --> seems like alot but you have to do what you have to do. As a short cut at times I just put an old clean t shirt over my pillowcase and sleep on that, then change the next evening.

      - Bacteria on hands try keeping your hands as clean as possible, alot of bacteria is introduced to the face by outside sources.

      - Try cleaning your makeup brushes as often as possible at least once a week for brushes uses daily. (disinfecting your makeup should also help, with bacteria and acne)

      - Check the ingredients in your hand creams, they might be great for your hands but not so great for your face.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the info Ree, it was most informative! Im still trying to figure out a skin care regimen that works for me. Im a little confused to how you use all these products..... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi hon,
    I know it seems like much and might be a bit overwhelming, but I’ve found that my skin needs different things at different times. So I do not use all of these at once, I have a morning routine, night routine, and a weekly routine. I will post details of each just for you *kisses* and anyone else who is interested :)

    ReplyDelete